||Network Engineer with VMWare and Linux
Our Virginia local state client is looking for a Network Engineer with VMWare and Linux for full time, long term engagement. If interested, please submit your resume ASAP indicating (a) your date of availability (b) desired hourly rate, W2, or 1099?
local candidates ONLY – Currently reside in the Norfolk, Newport News, VA Beach or Hampton areas.
Salary $70K with benefits
1099 w/no benefits at $40. Hour
Position Description -- VMWare / Linux Engineer
Part of a team that will perform the following duties and responsibilities on a day to day basis:
- Update existing infrastructure to the latest version applications, operating systems and firmware including VMWare clusters.
- Participate in the planning and design of services and systems.
- Identify and implement technologies that allow for appropriate growth and expansion of systems environment and services that OIT provides to the University Community.
- Proactively monitor systems to ensure maximum performance and availability.
- Design, implement, and maintain servers, storage, and associated hardware and software to provide services to campus customers.
- Coordinate with the technical points of contact to migrate services and data.
- Oversee the physical security, integrity, and safety of the data center/server environment.
- Coordinate with the technical points of contact to ensure specialized software and applications are kept up to date and changes to University systems are prepared for.
- Operate in an environment that requires confidentiality of information.
- Extensive demonstrated knowledge of virtualization and Linux OS concepts.
- Extensive demonstrated knowledge of server and network systems installation, administration, performance monitoring, and troubleshooting, and the theories, concepts, principles, models, methods, and tools associated with each.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Windows based server environments and services (i.e. Active Directory, DHCP, DNS)
- Demonstrated knowledge of server and network security, network architecture, and new and emerging IT and client-server technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple competing tasks and work both independently and as a team member.
- Demonstrated ability to generate and adapt equipment and technology to serve user requirements.
- Ability to perform site surveys and identify requirements necessary for system definition and utilization.
- Ability to perform research, analyze results, draft requirements, and formulate technology solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical matters, both verbally and in writing, to end users who have varied levels of understanding of subject matters.
- Experience setting up hardware and providing instructional directions in the use of such.
- Extensive experience diagnosing, troubleshooting, and resolving hardware, software, and other network and system problems, and replacing defective components, as required.
- Experience performing hardware maintenance and software upgrades.
- Experience providing technical assistance to developers and other IT personnel to facilitate utilization/maintenance of new and existing systems.
Min: High school diploma or GED or equivalent combination of training and education that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities.
An Associate’s degree or the equivalent number of college credit hours towards a Bachelor’s degree. However, relevant experience beyond that required for the position can be substituted for the educational requirement.